Heavy Copper PCBs
Heavy Copper PCBs are printed circuit boards with 3 or more ounces of finished copper in the inner and (or) outer layers.
Heavy Copper Board does not have a set of definition per IPC. According to PCB industry, however, people generally use this name to identify a printed circuit board with copper conductors 3oz – 10oz in inner and/or outer layers. And Extreme heavy copper PCB refers to 20oz to 200oz printed circuit board.
Benefits of Heavy Copper PCBs
- Elimination of complex wired buss configurations
- Increased current carrying capacity
- Increased endurance to thermal strains
- Optimized use of exotic high-temperature materials with lower probability of circuit failure
- Ability to incorporate multiple copper weights on the same layer of circuitry (layer count reduction)
- Added copper plating in the heat vias (thermal resistance reduction)
- Selective areas plated with heavy copper can function as a heat sink or interface to cold plate (built-in heat sinks)
- Integration of high-current circuits and control circuits on a single PCB
Applications of Heavy Copper PCBs
Demand for heavy copper-clad circuits in automotive, computer, industrial controls, and military is growing very fast.
- Solar power converters
- Safety and signal systems
- Renewable energies and storage pumping plants
- Torque controls
- High power rectifiers
- Overload relays
- Power converters for railway systems
- Power line monitors
- Traction converters for rail applications
- UPS systems
- Electric vehicle charging (commercial and industrial)
- Protection relays
More than 80% of the existing PCB manufacturers are limited or not capable of producing reliable heavy copper printed circuit boards, MOKO is in this field for many years and we can do the copper thickness is up to 8oz, we can be your first choice of PCB manufacturer!